You may have seen the title “detox drinks” in several videos. And you may have heard the term "detox" used in several different instances around you. But are you unsure what detox means or whether it is something you should follow? And, if so, how are you expected to go about it? What are all of its advantages? We've got it all covered!
What is the essence of a detox?
Detoxification is a therapeutic term that refers to the natural elimination of toxins from the body. In humans, on a daily basis, the liver, kidneys, intestines, and lymphatic systems perform this function and expel waste. But we are constantly exposed to chemicals, whether it is in our food supply, the air we breathe, or the cosmetics and other chemical agents we use on a daily basis. Some of these are extremely dangerous and have the potential to cause serious injury. So proper detox in the body is imperative, especially with modern pollution seeping into all aspects of our lives. We can improve the efficiency of the liver and kidneys by engaging in some healthy detox behaviours that assist in flushing the toxins out.
As a result of this process, the body can feel cleansed, nourished, and revitalised. The general blueprint for a detox is to reduce toxin burden first, and then meals rich in nutrients to help the body refuel are to be consumed.
What is the purpose of detoxing?
- You wake up feeling energised, vibrant, alive, pleasant, and revitalised after detoxing. Even if you're in good shape but have toxic symptoms like lethargy, brain fog, achiness, digestive issues, allergies, or headaches, a detox can help you heal quickly.
- With inadequate sleep, little exercise, insufficient healthy food, insufficient stress reduction, and insufficient time for ourselves, we all diverge from living in a way that improves our health. The most effective way to jumpstart your life is with a cleanse.
- The digestive process is supported by eating light, clean meals that are mostly cooked or blended, with a high fibre intake to aid bowel movement. Eliminating toxins from the body strengthens the immune system, making you more capable of fighting off germs and viruses before they turn into colds, flu, or illness, thus boosting your immunity.
- It also helps with inflammation reduction, increased concentration, and attention, better sleep cycles, overcoming the feeling of fatigue, hormonal balance, and the infusion of antioxidants and phytonutrients into our systems. It's a total cleaning and regeneration package.
When is it a good idea to detox?
Our bodies know when it needs one and will give us signs that we can recognize! Several indicators are as follows:
- semi-consistent bowel movements
- constant bloating
- daily sleepiness
- regular bloating
- skin issues
- abnormalities of the gallbladder
- excessive constipation or diarrhoea
- weight fluctuations
A simple and effective detox day plan to help you out
- Start the morning with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals found in abundance in fruits.
- ginger-lemon tea
- soaked almonds
- soaked raisins
- Brown rice cereal filled with veggies
- Fox nuts roasted and salted
- soaked raisins
- A clear soup with lots of veggies and reduced spices and flavor like mushroom soup with freshly squeezed lemon juice or black bean soup with roasted broccoli.
Most importantly, do not forget to stay hydrated throughout the day!! Have at least 8-9 glasses of water spread throughout the day. Detoxification should be seen as a way of life, with a focus on eating nutritious meals consistently. It’s not something to be done once a month to feel temporary relief!